Friday, June 7, 2013

  What we talk about

Psalm 19 says: Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord.

You my or my not be familiar with the saying "great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." Obviously there are ways to speak of people that would bring great honor to them. But with this saying it show cases our darker side of this evil flesh we so desperately need to conquer. In a world that has media both social and professional we are continually confronted with people's lives at a level of intimacy that can be inappropriate. 
  
   What makes it worse is this tidal wave of personnel information about others could be grist for our new conversational mills to the point that gossip becomes the norm, and and it's not just about the rich and famous. Our friends, coworkers, church members, and families can be targets of these sharp tongues and become wounded from something that should never even happen. How can we escape our inclination to use word to hurt others? By recogninzing  that the ultimate hearer of words is God, who longs for us to be better than that. With the psalmist we need to pray,"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight O Lord."

       Pray this with me: Father forgive me, for the times my speech crossed the line of inappropriate. Help me to understand the power of words, and give me wisdom to use them well.

                                                              Be Blessed, Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment